The Opossum-Palooza

It's okay. We don't know what the name means either.

9.25.2006

That Is A Disgusting Act...

On Sunday, one Mr. Jeremy Shockey, a player of the New York Giants football team, implied that perhaps his team had a coach who was inferior to the Super Bowl winning coach on the opposite sideline. Today, Mr. Shockey backpedaled. "I'm very team-oriented and I do let my emotions get to me," he said. "It's the competitive nature of Me." (I cannot categorically confirm that he intended for the word "me" to be capitalized. In fact, I have to assume that he lacks the knowledge of which words are and are not capitalized in the written word. But it amuses me to imagine Shockey having a conversation about the Tao of Jeremy.)

I don't have a problem with Shockey's outburst. In so much as it helps to totally disrupt a division rival, I actually support it. What I do have a problem with, however, is the reaction from both the media and members of the Giants organization:

  • Giants' center Shaun O'Hara: "I am not going to sit here and talk about what one guy says when we all know what went on. This is not about Jeremy Shockey. This is about the New York Giants losing a game. I don't care who, what or where said what. That's what it is about."
  • QB Eli Manning: "He was just emotional after the game and he knows he made a mistake."
  • Defensive End Michael Strahan: "Geez guys, don't panic. Relax."

All the focus is on the fact that Shockey's statements were inappropriate, but nobody wants to acknowledge one important fact: Shockey was probably right. The Giants proved in the fourth quarter in Philadelphia that they can put some points on the board. They proved it again Sunday in the same quarter. Their inability to score during the parts of the game when the defense is actually trying falls squarely on the shoulders of Tom Coughlin and his coaching staff. But the liberal sports media doesn't care about that. All they care about is smearing the character of a fine upstanding individual like Jeremy Shockey. The fact of the matter is that lambasting a public figure for an emotional outburst while completely ignoring the fact that he was probably justified is something that ought to be reserved for Fox News Channel and former Presidents.

Jesus, I think I just compared Jeremy Shockey to William J. Clinton. I am embarassed for Me, and everyone who ever met Me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home