The Opossum-Palooza

It's okay. We don't know what the name means either.

9.26.2006

My (admittedly sycophantic) Thoughts on Tony K.

This may be an unpopular opinion and I don’t care if it is. I thought Tony K. found his stride last night during the Saints game. After sitting through what seemed like days of well meaning, but ultimately mindless babble, I perked up when he started his “Symbols” soliloquy. He was right on the money on all accounts: there’s a lot of work still to be done in New Orleans, football isn’t the most important thing in the world, the Superdome and the Saints are symbolic of the rising and rebuilding of the Crescent City. None of those sentiments are new, but his delivery was so restrained and heartfelt that even I teared up a little. And I have a heart of Grinch-like proportions. He really is a great writer and I hope the overlords at the WWL put him to better use.
On to the game, where Tony rightly pointed out to the idiot Joe Theismann that runners always have their legs under their bodies. Joe, on the other hand, was laboring under the strange delusion that some people run with their bodies elsewhere. Maybe there really are X-Men and maybe they play in the NFL. I mean, what else would they do, really?
Tony seemed natural and convivial with Spike Lee and I absolutely loved that he brought up the Knicks and Isiah Thomas as Coach of the Year. That was pretty vintage Kornheiser right there.
One last thing though: Tony, that nifty trick play by the Saints for a TD? It was a reverse, not a “double-reverse.” I’m a little pedantic about that.
In short, Tony’s getting better, Theismanns’s a babbling idiot and Tirico is a bit of a pussy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that NO was able to host a game back in the Superdome but felt it was overdone during the game. The commentary was just too much and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Off topic: I like your blog. Check out mine if you get a chance: sportschica1.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home