The Opossum-Palooza

It's okay. We don't know what the name means either.

9.15.2006

U2 Ruins Everything

I awoke to some dreadful news this morning. U2 and Green Day are going to perform a charity cover version of "The Saints Are Coming" by The Skids before The New Orleans Saints' home game on September 25th. Why "dreadful" you ask? I'll tell you.

I swear to God, Bono ruins everything I love. To wit: in the middle of "I'm Your Man," a recent serviceble documentary about the genius Leonard Cohen, up pops Bono himself, blathering on about the fundamental "Irishness" of Cohen's writing. Irish? Really? Pfft. And to add insult to injury, the ubiquitous Mr. Paul Hewson insinuated himself into another documentary about Charles Bukowski that I was really enjoying. Goddammit, Bono, why do you have to sully all good things with your mere presence?

Don't get me wrong, of course I wish the best for New Orleans, a city I love (see the pattern?) but am tired of seeing these holier-than-thou assholes ravage even the purest of intentions - helping the fine people of the Crescent City. Please go away, U2.

And Green Day? I don't even have any words.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Siobhan, tell us your real feelings.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Flynn said...

At least they'll play and sing live, and they might just draw some attention to the issues the govt is neglecting on the Gulf Coast. They surprised the hell out of me when they performed at the Super Bowl in '02. Watch it on YouTube if you don't remember. I'll take them over the lip-synced garbage usually paid to entertain the NF of L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home