The Opossum-Palooza

It's okay. We don't know what the name means either.

5.13.2006

Just put 'em out of their misery.

Once a playoff series goes to 3-0, I feel like they should just end it right there. As much as I like the New Jersey Devils (or, at least, respect them), I couldn't help but root against them today because I just wanted the series to be over so we could all focus on San Jose-Edmonton. The same is true of Ottawa-Buffalo. The fact is, these series are just not compelling. Barring some sort of miracle, neither New Jersey or Ottawa have any chance at this point.

I know, I know... "2004 Red Sox!" you say. "'75 Islanders! '42 Leafs!" you protest. Whatever. Because those series represent three of the over 200 times a team has fallen behind 3-0 in baseball, basketball or hockey. That's three out of over 200. Also known as roughly a 1% chance for the Devils or Senators.

Sure, the Devils and Senators have both won a game now, so there's always the chance that things could get interesting, but, ultimately, there's very little reason to expect anything from either of these teams, and I would much rather focus my energies on the intrigue on the West Coast. So, let's go Sabres. And (ugh) Hurricanes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home